I finally have time to share our latest creation! Turning our family rules into a piece of art that doubles as a visual reminder to us all.
It has been a very long time since we have done a blog post! Well, it is no secret that consistency is a struggle for me. I have been on hiatus from many things. Mostly, because we moved to a new city (well, out into the country).
We also found out we are expecting our third child and the morning sickness has kept me out of action for a while. However, now that life is settling down again, I felt that old nagging feeling to do some crafting.
Setting up our new house has been a wonderful, fun and tiring experience. We have pretty much painted the place head to toe and made it our own. And now, I am settling in and really starting to decorate more. We are very visual people in our family. Therefore, I have taken on a few craft projects (as always, inspired by Alicia!) that would be great visual representatives and pieces of art for the family.
Hubby and I took some time to really think about what is important to us. We decided that what is important is how we raise our children. We really wanted to focus on the character traits that we are trying to build in them.
I googled several other great blogs that had also created similar family rules artwork and took a lot of inspiration from them. Myra, over at My Blessed Life, had some great family rules done in an artistic style that totally appealed to my sense of style. Rachelle, the mommy blogger at Fingerprints on the Fridge, also had some great ideas and a wonderful step by step tutorial!
We chose the perfect time to take this project on because Michaels Art Store had all their canvases on sale. Alicia and I were both able to get large sized canvases for our family rules for a really good price. After buying a few foam paint brushes, a large bottle of matte mod podge and a paper pad of yardstick, the project cost about $40.
Then, following Rachelle’s instructions, I painted my canvas a nice green colour. It goes well with the yellow walls in our new place. I spent a good hour or two choosing the papers that I liked. Then, putting them in an order that seemed to balance out wild and crazy with a little more subdued.
I tried to stagger my rules so that there was a mix of longer ones and shorter ones. Also aiming for them to make some sort of sense in order at least in my mind. And this is what I got! It felt like a long process, it took me 2 days to complete this project – but it was a lot of fun.